Hen not gaining weight

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sacto-urban-farmer, Sep 7, 2010.

1. sacto-urban-farmer

sacto-urban-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Hi BYC friends,

I have 2 sexlinks 7 mon. old. The RIR is laying an egg a day and much bigger than the Black Star who is not laying. The BS was always a runt, but I am concerned she feels thin and her crop is always so small. Otherwise she looks and acts very energetic and healthy (nice red comb and waddles, very active). When I observe them eating together, the RIR is kind of a bully around food. I tried feeding the BS separately when the RI is laying, but the BS still seems to eat very little and lose interest in what I am offering..even when I offer her favs.

Maybe I am overreacting, but I need to figure this out as they are inseparable and my only two chickens. I want them both happy and healthy.

Thanks in advance BYC friends!

Cris

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She might just be petite. I have hens the same age and breed whose weights span a 2 lb. range. The smallest hen is (surprisingly) the dominant bird in the flock, but she looks tiny compared to her sisters. What she lacks in size she makes up for in sheer force of will. These hens are nearly 3 y.o. and the lack of size hasn't been a problem, yet.

I wouldn't worry about your birds. They are likely fine. They will start bulking up soon and stop looking so thin. They are still teens and will be a bit stringy for a while, but they will fill out. By next spring your hens will be fat and sassy. They will have reached their adult weight by then.

Good luck.

3. sacto-urban-farmer

sacto-urban-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks for your words. Much appreciated. I think I worry too much. I just love my girls!

Take care
    Cris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by