Hen not laying a whole egg

chitownhens

Songster
Jan 23, 2016
I'm sure this question has been brought up before but since I have a picture I thought I might receive a better response.

One of my Red Star's was not feeling well about 3-4 weeks ago so I brought her into the house and after a few days she bounced back. I did pull out something from her vent couldn't say what it really was except part of an egg. Since that time she has dropped a few yolks no shell or a completely collapsed egg.

Could someone tell me what the issue might be and if any treatment is available to resolve it? Thank you.

BTW when she first started not feeling well and I pulled out that small portion of egg from her vent her poop was very very small for about 7-10 days than progressively got better. She now seems to be pooping normal and the only issue is she can lay a whole egg only a crunched up shell and yolk without the shell.

Last edited:
Take a look at the last link I provided above, it is an article on common egg laying problems. I think there may be a description and photo of eggs like you are talking about. Treatment/causes are included with each problem.

Thanks Wyorp.............I looked but did not see anything that resembled what has been happening with this hen's eggs.

She basically lays a crushed shell or a yolk without the shell.

Thanks Wyorp.............I looked but did not see anything that resembled what has been happening with this hen's eggs.

She basically lays a crushed shell or a yolk without the shell.
Can you post some photos of what she is laying.
The egg that is without the shell, does it stay somewhat intact or are you just seeing yolk in the nesting box?
The one that is crushed, is it actually coming out of her already crushed, like in pieces (wandering if pieces of shell are still in vent when this happens)?

Trying to think of everything, so bear with me...what type of food does she have, layer, all flock, etc. and do you offer oyster shell free choice.

This hen is at the bottom of the pecking order. Over the winter somehow she didn't get back into the coop and stayed out all night and she hardly had any feathers so I let her stay in the house for a couple of months until she recuperated. She was laying normally until a few weeks ago.

When she is laying she looks normal.

The egg that is crushed is the way it came out of her.

I have her inside at the moment. She will lay on a sheet and lay an egg so I will see if I can get a picture of what comes out if anything.

Last edited:
What's unusual about her is she doesn't make a regular hen sound but more of low muffled whining which seems to mean she wants to be in the nesting box so I brought back out and that is where she headed off to.

This is her laying at the moment. I will see what comes out.

Back
Top Bottom