hen not laying and all seems to be like it should

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowhorse3, Mar 30, 2011.

1. rainbowhorse3

rainbowhorse3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Hop Bottom
    my ameraucana hen quit laying a couple of weeks ago, actually several weeks ago. all seems to be just fine. she is about 10 or 11 months old. i'm feeding laying mash. i have a light in the coop so there is plenty of light. is it maybe because i have a couple too many roosters?? i have the rooster that i got with her, and a couple more that i accidentally introduced to them. however, they do not seem to be at all aggressive. her rooster rules the coop. they have plenty of water, changed out daily, along with their food. they are all let out of the coop first thing in the morning, and locked in after dusk. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. they all seem to be perfectly healthy. and all seem to get along fine. so i don't understand why she stopped laying. molting is not an option....no feather loss.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since they are allowed out to free range during the day, could she be hiding eggs from you? Just a thought. Also, stress brought on by overmatings (too many roos) can cause a hen to stop laying.
    ETA: She's also at the prime age for a mini-molt. A molt so slight it may go unnoticed by humans.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  3. rainbowhorse3

Mar 22, 2011
    Hop Bottom
    well, i am going to get rid of, i think 3 roosters. they look like roosters to me anyway. i haven't heard them crowing. the only one that crows is the one that i'm keeping, cuz he came with that hen. so, then it will be just her, 2 other younger hens, and the one rooster in the coop. hopefully she'll start laying again after that. i didn't know that chickens that young would go into a molt. hmmm......i will wait it out. she's a beautiful girl, and even if she isn't laying her beautiful blue eggs, she's still worth keeping around. thanks for the input. [​IMG]

4. rainbowhorse3

Mar 22, 2011
    Hop Bottom
    one more stupid question.....lol maybe the other chickens in my coop aren't roosters. will a hen challenge a rooster?? like i said, they aren't crowing......they don't have spurs on their legs, like my big rooster does. they have me a bit confused. however, i did see the one challenge my big rooster. hmmm......

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, an older hen will challenge a younger rooster. Plus, hens get into it amongst themselves from time to time. Sometimes, in the presence of a strong alpha roo, younger roos won't crow. Crowing by subordinates is considered a challenge to the alpha roo, so the cockerels (males under a year old) don't do it, cuz they don't want a butt whoopin'.
    If you'd like to post pics I'm sure some of us can help you out with gender on the ones you're not sure about. If you have trouble posting pics, PM me. I'll help you out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by