1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen not laying consistently and now her one eye is closed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kemnerg, Oct 7, 2015.

1. kemnerg

kemnerg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Hi,

I am new to chicken keeping. We have 10 hens, 3 of which have been laying consistently (1egg/day/chicken) for the last month or so and we have 7 others that are just getting to the point where they are ready to lay. We noticed about a week ago that one of the older hens was not laying everyday like she had been, but initially didn't think too much of it with the weather that we had. We noticed earlier this evening that her one eye is staying closed when she is up and about. She seems like she is eating and drinking ok, but her movements seem a little slower than usual. I'm not sure what I should be looking for or what I can do for her.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

For now, put the girl in her own area and isolate her just in case she has something contagious or so none of the others bother her. You can put some electrolytes in her water to keep her hydrated.

Try posting over on the emergencies thread, give a complete description of the bird plus any/all symptoms you can. There are some members over there very good at diagnosing illnesses and they can give you more specific remedies for her.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope she's better soon.

3. kemnerg

Oct 7, 2015
    Thanks for your advice. I'll post in emergencies now.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope your hen will be alright? How old is she? Is it possible she is egg bound?

5. kemnerg

Oct 7, 2015
    She is about 7.5 months old. Sorry to say I am really new at this, what is eggbound?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

How is your girl doing? Did the emergency center help you out?

Egg bound is when a chicken needs to lay, but can't..the egg is stuck. Has she laid today?

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

How is your hen?

9. kemnerg

Oct 7, 2015
    Posted to the emergencies board, but heard nothing back. I checked both her and one of my other 7.5 month olds yesterday, and could feel no difference... bellies and hind quarters soft. She seemed ok and content yesterday, but still an egg short out of the three of them. I'm starting to wonder if the changing weather could be playing a part in this, we had a pretty big temperature change last week, now it is cool, and wet.

10. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]
    Good Luck with your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by