Hen not laying eggs after first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lissalischicks, May 31, 2016.

1. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My Rhode Island Red (she is 20 weeks old) laid her first egg about 4 days ago and hasn't laid another egg yet. I am not sure if I am being anxious about this but my golden sexlink laid her first egg at 19 weeks and has laid an egg almost everyday. Is it normal and is my hen okay since she hasn't laid her second egg yet?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Its perfectly normal - you may also want to hunt around the run or wherever they free range, as she could be laying elsewhere. It can take some pullets a while before they recognise and associate the laying signs with getting to the nests in good time.

CT

3. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you so much for the reply. We have checked everywhere around the yard and she has not laid an egg outside the nesting boxes. I think I can tell she wants to lay an egg because she acts differently. I have placed her in the nesting box to try to help her know where to go but she looks at me if I'm crazy and goes out of the box. Hopefully she will lay again soon so I can stop worrying.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome - sounds like she's just taking a while to get her plumbing sorted out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by