Hen not laying for about a month+

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jbethmann, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jbethmann

jbethmann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    I have 3, 1+year old Golden Comets. They laid their first eggs back in July 2010. Through the summer they were somewhat infrequent due to the heat, but laid super regularly all winter. I added 2 SL Wynadottes and 1 Speckled Sussex this Spring that are now about 16+weeks old. They have been side by side for about 2 months+, and in the same coop for a week. They seem to be fine together overall, after the initial hen pecking. This forum was so helpful for that phase!!

Problem is, I'm getting just 1-2 eggs a day. I do not know 100% who isn't laying, but I'm guessing who it is, because she seems more fluffed up, more sleepy, slower, and more cautious. She isn't broody and isn't missing feathers. She had dirty feathers around her bum now and then when I check her out, but then other days she is fine.

About 2+ months ago (when they were first introduced to the new chicks) she stopped laying. About a month ago, she laid a deformed "alien" egg that, from what I read online, was essentially "cooked" inside her for being inside so long. Totally gross...

I'm starting to worry about her getting egg bound. I've massaged her belly and she feels soft. She eats and forages and is overall slower than the other Comets, who run up to me for treats. Any insight for me?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I see that you posted this question yesterday and no one has replied. So maybe today we can get some answers! [​IMG]

I am sorry to hear about your hen [​IMG]

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine....but last year i had a 6 1/2 month old hen who had been laying for about 6 or 7 weeks and then she just STOPPED for about 3 months or more!!! it turns out she was going through a "slow" moult. i could hardly tell she was moulting, but she was.....and it took forever for her to start laying again. but now she lays 6 eggs a week! i'm guessing to make up for the huge break she took...lol!

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Did you feel her vent area? If she's egg bound thats where they nomally get stuck .

5. jbethmann

jbethmann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Thank you for your posts! I did give her a tummy massage and observed/felt the general vent area, but didn't poke her right in the butt. It is normal looking, but maybe I'll go out there later for a closer massage.

Here's a grody question... would their pooping be affected by being egg bound? She poops plenty... [​IMG][​IMG]

I'd hate for her to be ill and me to do nothing (I lost a hen early on when we first got them-got sick, stopped eating and starved-and maybe that is making me nervous), but since there appears to be no glaring issue, I'll try to relax, keep my eye on things, and hope it is a slow molt!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If the egg is right at the vent, the there would be no pooping. However if the egg is stuck way up inside, then yes, she could still poop. If the egg is way up there, then you could try soaking her butt in warm water, that is if she will tolerate that. At the same time some massaging might help too.

At least she is able to poo and get the waste out of her. I wish you luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by