Hen Not laying right

ChandlerM101

Hatching
Jun 6, 2020
Eastern Kentucky
I have a 2 1/2 year old asi brown and she has been laying her eggs weirdly. I woke up and checked for eggs and seen she did not lay one. Later that night she had white stuff oozing from her vent and then proceeded to lay and egg in front of me. I woke up the next morning to a soft egg which she layer. The next day she didn’t lay and that night she had white ooze from her vent and layer another egg in front of me. I was wanting to know what could be wrong. Thanks.

Dumor layer pellets
Any other foods/treats?
Do you have other birds that are laying well?
ISA Browns, and other high production hybrids, are susceptible to reproductive system problems that often hit at about 2-3 years old.

Welcome to BYC @ChandlerM101 sorry you are having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591539543295.png

I also give her calcium supplements like oyster shells, and I sometimes give them fresh fruits/Vegatables and it has been getting hot very quickly where I live. Do you think she might not be wanting to lay her egg in the coop because of heat?

Do you think she might not be wanting to lay her egg in the coop because of heat?
Not sure she just doesn't want to lay in the coop.
Tho heat can have an affect on overall health and laying.

Later that night she had white stuff oozing from her vent and then proceeded to lay and egg in front of me. I woke up the next morning to a soft egg which she layer. The next day she didn’t lay and that night she had white ooze from her vent and layer another egg in front of me.
Was this "white ooze" actually white like piece of paper or like egg whites?
Pics might help here.
Was the egg she laid in front of you a normal hard shelled egg?

This is how how I help them beat the heat:
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom