Hen not laying yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ftblkch, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ftblkch

ftblkch New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    I have two Road Island Reds and one Americana. They were all born in May and the Americana is about two weeks older than the Reds. One of my reds started laying near the end of Oct and the other about mid Nov. However, I still have not seen an egg from my Americana. She doesn't seem to be molting and from the pictures on line, I don't think she is a he. I am in AZ so the temps at night are 40's or 50's and 70's in the day. Is it possible it is just the shorter days? The two reds give me about one egg per day, each missing only about one day a week. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Your 'Americana' is most likely an Easter egger. Ameraucanas are a pure breed not generally available from hatcheries or chick suppliers. Easter eggers are bred with the emphasis on egg color, with their mixed heritage onset of laying can vary greatly. Don't worry she will eventually start providing colorful eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. No need to worry. EEs are notorious late bloomers. Ours laid months after the others started.

4. ncymst

ncymst Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Ohio
    I have a black and white bantam chicken with feathers on her feet born April 1 2013 no eggs from her yet At least I don't think so. Won't her eggs be spotted or super small?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by