Hen not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teriz1091, Jun 10, 2016.

1. teriz1091

teriz1091 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Kansas
    We have a trio of 9 month old hens, a Rhode Island Red, a Barred Rock, and an Easter Egger. They all started laying in February. We live in Kansas, so recently our weather has gotten very humid, & the temperature has been rising to about 90 during the day. All of the hens have taken a nose dive in their egg laying, but the Red hen hasn't laid at all in almost a week. I'm assuming this is due to the weather change, but it's only going to get hotter. Is the lack of egg production something to be concerned about? All the hens are acting normal. I'm just concerned that a week is a long time for Red to not lay at all.

Thanks for any help!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

do they have enough shade and water?

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    hot temperature can affect egg production

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. teriz1091

teriz1091 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2015
    Kansas

They have 3 different options for water sources available at all times. We're going to create more shade for the afternoon on the west fence of their pen with a tarp, as the shade of the coop is most of the shade available right now in the afternoons. I was also thinking of getting some ice cube trays & making them a frozen treat with feed, meal worms, etc in the ice cubes. I was mostly concerned about the potential of Red getting sick if she didn't lay for so long, but I don't know if that's a possibility or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by