Hen not laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilyLovesBugs, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    My I.S.A Brown is not laying. She is about 32 weeks, she laid eggs almost every day for a long time, but now we haven't received eggs from her in about 2 weeks. I have looked for secret nests around the coop but don't see one. They haven't got to free range for a long time.

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Welcome to BYC
    It's most likely the cold weather and shorter days that are causing her to stop laying. She will eventually start laying again
    when this awful winter is over. None of my birds are laying, and if you look at other posts here on BYC you'll notice alot of
    the member's birds have stopped laying for the winter aswell.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. stumpff farm

stumpff farm New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    Not sure where you live but some of my hens stopped laying for a while when temps started to get down in to the 30's. After reading I got the idea to put a light out in the house and they started to lay regularly again, all except my Ameraucana. From what I read both loss of light and cooler temps can decrease egg production.

4. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    We have a heat lamp on in their coop, and all the other hens have been laying normal.

5. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions

6. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Out of four laying hens, we got 3 eggs![​IMG] One of them was from her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by