Hen Not Pooping Much And Now Possibly Ill From Worming?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Nov 29, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi all. I have a 9 month old Black Australorp pullet that is not well this morning. But I need to digress here a moment to fill you in one what lead up to today....

12 days ago I had wormed all the chickens with Wazine and was planning on reworming them with Safe-guard 10 days after the Wazine. Ok, so yesterday when I opened up the coop to get the girls out for the day, I noticed only a small amount of poop under one of the birds, Hilda. First thing I did was feel her crop area to see if something was amiss there, and it was completely empty. So I assumed that maybe she hadn't eaten enough the night before and thus the low output of poop.

Yesterday was day 10 and I gave each of them a pea sized amount of Safe-Guard on a piece of bread, although Hilda spit hers out immediately as it must have tasted bad. So I gave her another piece with a only a tiny bit of Safe-Guard on it. (Safe-Guard is called that because it is safe, right? I didn't over dose her did I?)

Anyway, I watched her all day to make sure she was ok. She was eating well, acted her normal self and didn't seem sick. This morning I again opened up the coop and there was only a small amount of poop under her. And this time, she looked sick. She would not come out of the coop.

I felt her crop and it feels empty to me. (I have dealt with sour crop before, so I have done my share of crop feeling). I picked her up and put her outside, but she stood there like she was ill. So I set up a hospital cage in the greenhouse for her and she is under a heat lamp. (It is 25 degrees this morning and she is cold).

I did squirt some oil down her throat and massaged her crop area for a bit, but I don't know it this will do any good if there is a blockage further down. She will not eat anything, but I did leave her with water, no food.

So...why the low output of poop, and why is she sick this morning? Did the wormer make her sick? Could she be blocked up and sick from the wormer at the same time?? [​IMG]

Edit to add: She is not egg bound as she lays an egg nearly every day, and did so yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. jh7192

jh7192 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    Taneytown MD
    Good Morning! Sorry to hear about Hilda and the fact she is not doing well. For starters, prior to deworming with Wazine, did you do a fecal check? There is no point in de-worming if you don't know what type worms the birds have, if any. By having a fecal examination performed you can identify the worms in the birds intestinal tract, then select an appropriate drug. Second, Safe-Guard is fenbendazole. As best I'm able to determine there is no label clearance for fenbendazole in chickens. Furthermore, the fenbendazole treats several worms the Wazine treats. I don't know if Fenbendazole will kill Heterakis worms. Wazine will not. Neither drug will kill tape worms. Neither will kill coccidia. It is impossible to determine Hilda's problems without seeing the bird. However, I suspect it has nothing to do with the de-worming. The timing was strictly coincidental.
    Do you have a veterinarian near you who knows anything about birds or chickens? That's really what Hilda needs. A vet will take a good history including what you feed the birds, water source, vaccination history,potential exposure to toxins, etc.
    Good luck with Hilda.

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I guess in a perfect world, taking in a fecal sample to a vet before worming would be a wonderful idea. However after keeping horses and goats for decades, and Bobwhite quail for the past 5 years, I do know that all animals that come into contact with the ground and feces need to be wormed regularly.

In this case, I am not that concerned about the worms that she may have or the ones not killed by the worming. My chickens probably did have the common Round Worm and intestinal worms, which these wormers no doubt killed. None of the chickens seem to be suffering from Tape worms, nothing in the poo and they are healthy and at a good weight.

But why the listlessness this morning and the lack of poop?

She is still standing in the exact same position she was in this morning, staring into space. Nothing is broken as she can walk fine. I felt her up and down to see if I could feel anything internally and she feels the same as the others. She has no discharge from the nostrils, she is not breathing heavily or wheezing. No coughing. No swollen eyes. No diarrhea, vent is clean. She has no mites or external bugs. I regularly strip the coop and scrub and dust for bugs.

She is a good eater and is on a good layer feed. I am a clean freak, so the run and coop are spotless. The feed and water dishes get scrubbed out constantly. She does not get too many treats, except maybe some veggies once a day. A handful of scratch to all the chickens before bed.

All the chickens, 4 of them, are confined to a 20'x30' run and do not have access to any other areas. I have not added any new birds to the original 4. Never have there been chickens on this area. She has absolutely no symptoms other than standing there, tail droopy and not eating.

I am not against taking a bird to the vet, as a matter of fact, a few months ago I had to take one of them in for a crop flush for a soured crop. But as with my own self, unless there are symptoms on which to go by, I don't want to take a chicken into the vet only to look her over and say they do not know what the problem is. I have been that route on myself at doctors offices and come home with no diagnosis. My country vet has been to my place here and she knows how my chickens live.

This would be a lot easier if she DID have some symptom. At least then I could try something. But I am completely stumped.

Anybody have ANY ideas as to what she might have? I don't want to lose her. Not only do I only have 4 chickens, but of course she is the sweetest girl of the bunch. [​IMG]

4. Ethel&Lucy

Ethel&Lucy New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YOUR HEN WHEN SHE WASN"T ACTING HERSELF AND NOT POOPING AS MUCH?
    MY 6 year old bantam hen has been pooping very little last few days an whimpers a little

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there Ethel and Lucy...I THINK I figured out what was wrong with this hen, well at least on some accounts. There was actually two things going on at one time with this hen, and it took me a few months to figure it out. So here is what I determined...

Number 1, she gets some sort of allergic reaction to the equine Safeguard Wormer. When I wormed her last November, the following next few days, her comb turned completely pale. Ghostly white in color and stayed this way for a few days. She stopped eating and drinking for a few days.

HOWEVER...at the same time she had some sort of illness and had yellow urates, (when she did poop), and this also gave her no appetite. I tried Duramycin on her first and had to squirt them down her throat for the first few days as she had stopped eating and drinking. I believe the combination from the wormer and what ever was ailing her, make her too sick to eat or drink.

Well after a 10 day run on the antibiotics, she improved for the most part, although her symptoms never truly left her. 2 months later, she was back to square one with the yellow urates, not eating and such. (Not as bad this time because I was watching her close enough that she never got too bad like she did the first time.)

So then I ran some sulfa drugs thru her, Sulfadimethoxine, for one week and that completely took care of what ever she had. That was last January and she has never had it come back on her.

Now, back in April, I decided to worm everybody again. I again used the equine Safeguard. Well, this same bird had the same reaction again, the very next day, pale pale pale comb, wouldn't eat much for a few days. Took about 2 or 3 days for this stuff to run out of her system enough and she popped back to life quick at day 4.

She looks great these days, lays well, bright red comb, no signs of yellow urates and eats like a horse! No more Safeguard for this girl!

So....if your girl is not eating much, which will lead low poop output, you could try antibiotics on her. She does sound pretty old, so you never know what is going on inside her body. I like the sulfa drugs as they work very fast and you don't have to run them thru them for too long to get improvement. You can see improvement after 2 or 3 days usually.

Make sure she is not egg bound also. Is she still laying at her age?

I don't know what else you could try. When they slow down in eating or stop all together and have no outward symptoms, antibiotics is about all you can try. But even then, sometimes there are things you can not fix.

Good luck with your girl!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  6. Ethel&Lucy

Ethel&Lucy New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    I took Ethel to the vet as I had lost her sister Lucy last year at this same time from egg peritontis and had suspected the same thing to be occurring.
    The vet took 2 x-rays and determined she had a mass in her uterus which would either be a tumor or an accumulation of unlaid eggs. The pressure of the uterus on the intestinal tract would cause her excrement to be altered and liquidy. I had suspected Ethel was an internal layer for some time and I suppose some how her unlaid eggs entered her abdomen or intestinal tract and were absorbed or released by her body. This time they remained in the uterus. According to the x-ray Ethel is not ovulating so a shot of Lupron would not be effective. I am considering having the vet perform a hysterectomy on Ethel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by