1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hen not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hilashens, Oct 12, 2017.

1. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    Hi everyone,
    New chicken mama here. I obtained a comet hen from a woman about 2 months ago. I’ve noticed that she often lays on the coop floor in the pine shavings. Sometimes she roosts. However. I’ve noticed lately when I was able to catch her that the previous owner had cut her feathers (she’s not a very heafty bird, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she was able to fly). It also appears her rump feathers were cut as well
    Is this preventing her from roosting? I have a corner roost set and I think she could hop up if she needed. I feel bad and want to get her off the ground.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Trimmed feathers may impact her ability to reach the roost. Why not make her a ladder or ramp to reach the roost ?

3. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    The roosts were in the corner of the coop starting at the ground and moving upward. She would lay underneath everyone.
    I have recently made revisions to the coop in preparation for winter as follows:
    -Removed corner roosts
    -Made a cheap poop board to eliminate excess fecal material of 8 birds from the coop
    - put plexiglas over the “window” covered with thick mesh wire and sealed with caulking (from the outside- I don’t want them picking at the caulking)
    -caulked seams of plywood (previous home owner had this barn and didnt do a very good job making it.
    -started deep litter system (hay and pine shavings) and have chickens turn it daily by throwing BOSS and scratch into it
    -made a ladder reaching the roost
    (Until my next revision, the girls didn’t understand the ladder and I had to put everyone in the roost)
    -today I added an Greenlite LED shop lite to the coop with a timer on our end. I’m one of the “meanies” that is making their girls lay through the winter. I got this light for THREE dollars from a worker at the local hardware store. He said he’s expecting more in. I haven’t been able to find ANY of these online except for the two light shop lights for $39.99.
    Once I was going to shut the coop door for the night, the ladies were all up on the roost. They just couldn’t see the ladder well enough!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    How old is this bird and did you add her to an existing flock??

More info would help:
    your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
    your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
    and roost length in feet,
    might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.

5. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    She is almost 2 years old. She was added to my existing flock with one of her flock members (an almost 2 year OE) of 6 barred rocks that were hatched in April.
    My coop is 8ft by 10ft. Roost is a 2x4, 8ft length.

aart likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wondering if she may be molting or getting ready to molt...'tis the season.
    They can be uncomfortable when those new feathers start growing in and often will roosts way from the others to avoid the jostling that happens at roost time.
    Any chance she's ill?
    Is she otherwise eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK????

8ft of roost for 8 birds might be minimal.
    They will sleep on less but getting up and getting settled takes some extra space.
    The poop board may help this depending on how it is installed.

I hope you still have plenty of ventilation.

7. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    She’s a healthy bird otherwise! One of the birds has some bouts of loose poop but I can’t determine who it is.
    There is ventilation on top. The window was at the roost height, so I don’t want them freezing. This was an old horse barn. I’ve paid close attention to this site preparing for winter worrying about not doing enough for these birds but it seems we have it pretty well prepared!
    My poop board isn’t pretty...literally a piece of plywood and 4 2x4s for legs and I will be making edges on it so I can put sand down.

aart likes this.
  8. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    Just went out to look at her to get a picture and noticed this!!! My skin is CRAWLING. She has some mite crawling on her and I’m SO grossed out! HELP. I want to get this cleared up NOW.

Attached Files:

9. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    There are areas on her that look like thick black dirt.

10. hilashens

hilashens In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    Update: I have gone to TSC and got Gordon’s brand permethrin 10 and treated all, the coop, removed nesting and sprayed nesting containers. I will replace pine shavings and hay when all has dried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: