1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen not sitting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blueyes132, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Blueyes132

Blueyes132 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    I have 2 reds that I think are laying eggs. So far I have 11 eggs but neither hen are laying on them. What do I do? Are they dead?

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    A hen won't just go broody because you are leaving the eggs in the nest. It is a hormonal factor as to whether they go broody or not.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. Blueyes132

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    Are they dead or should I wait or should I just eat them? The temps here have been in the 80s if that matters.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    If your hen has not been sitting on them they will not have developed. Do you have a roo? If you have no roo mating your hens your eggs will not be fertile and nothing would be able to develop in them. Go ahead and eat them, don't waste those delicious eggs :D

6. Blueyes132

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    I have 2 Roos.

7. Blueyes132

Jun 24, 2016
    montana
    How long are eggs good for if they've been sitting outside?

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Depends. Eggs kept on the counter, at room temp are good for about 2 weeks. If they've been left outside in very warm weather, I'd probably scramble them up and feed back to the birds. No reason to risk it. Also, collect eggs every day. Leaving them in the nest box will not induce broodiness. Brooding is controlled by hormones. Some breeds are very prone to brooding. Others, like production type reds, have had the broodiness bred out of them. Even in broody-prone breeds, young pullets aren't usually going to go broody before they turn a year old. Also, hens don't usually go broody in the fall/winter. It's the longer days of spring and summer that bring on the hormones for brooding.

9. SedonaSunset

SedonaSunset Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Virginia
    Can anyone tell me how to post a new thread in a forum from an Android smart phone? I've read the instructions on how to post new threads but there doesn't seem to be that option on my phone. This is the only place I've been able to find where I can post something.

10. SedonaSunset

SedonaSunset Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Virginia
    Never mind. Got it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by