1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen not sitting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksngiggles, Aug 23, 2014.

1. chicksngiggles

chicksngiggles New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    georgia
    Ok so heres my question.hens and im assuming more than one are laying all in the same nest box.
    We live in georgia so its pretty hot this time of year.we have not seen a hen sitting on the eggs
    Could it be the heat?will the eggs still hatch if the hens are not tending?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Just because they are all laying in the same nest box does not mean they are planning on going broody. Accumulating eggs do sometimes prompt a hen to go broody, but there are more factors than that--the hen's body condition, hormone levels, etc. Heat could also play a part; hens probably don't want to sit in a baking hot nest all day.

Unless your temperatures are 99-103 degrees F. in the nest box, the eggs will not hatch without being sat on by a hen.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    The PP is correct. Unless a hen is actually broody, eggs will not hatch. The hen generally gets mad at you for trying to move her or get eggs from under her and will not be easily moved. You cannot make a hen sit on eggs to hatch. A lot of breeds don't tend to go broody. I've had a Welsummer, light brahma, barred rock & Columbian Wyandotte go broody. Good luck.

4. chicksngiggles

chicksngiggles New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    georgia
    Thank you for the info guess at th8s point we will have to wait and see.im guess inside temp to be in the high 90's or more during the day and we havent checked to see if they are sitting at night when temperature drops

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    First - [​IMG]

If your hens are not sitting on them during the day, they will not sit on them at night, either. A broody hen will set night and day with only a short break for 15-20 minutes or so to go eat, drink and relieve themselves. If you're letting them sit in 90 - 100 degree temps during the day and lower at night, the only thing you're going to get is rotten eggs. I would clean that whole nest out, dump the eggs and then start collecting the fresh ones to eat. As mentioned previously, it's common for several hens to all lay in the same nest box. That does not mean there will be a broody hen to set on them.

6. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    If your hen isn't there during the day even with those temps chances are she isn't sitting at night and your eggs will not hatch...

Most of us have had broodys and can tell the signs pretty quickly, some of us still get surprised and think, holy cow, she's broody..[​IMG]

I have a hen that has decided to go broody she was on the nest 3 days ago, all day...I started watching her, the second day I kicked her off the nest to gather eggs she was sitting on, she protested but got off and came back about 10 min later... Checked her that night and she was firmly in the nest...Same thing day three (this morning) I once again kicked her off but this time put fake eggs in her nest, watched her go out, eat poop and run back...she is now on the "fake" eggs... Tonight I will go out, band her leg so I know which one she is, remove her "fake" eggs and put fertile eggs under her.

I have to know for sure they are serious, most folks will tell you a hen that is on the nest for 4 days and nights constantly is considered fully in the broody way [​IMG]

7. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by