Hen not standing - Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puddinbabe, Aug 10, 2010.

1. puddinbabe

puddinbabe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Yesterday I found one of my RIR hens laying down in the pen. She's about 2 yrs old. I've brought her inside and she's in a dog crate. When I found her yesterday, I did find a broken egg in the box which is unusual. The shell seemed a little soft. Now that I've got her inside she looks fine - her color is good and her eyes are responsive. She gets agitated just like normal when I try to handle her. She's eating and drinking alright; she also ate a little yogurt which isn't her favorite. Her poop looks normal. But she still doesn't want to stand. She can stand, and she will for about 20 seconds, but then she settles back down into one place. So it doesn't look like an injury. I gave her a warm bath last night but it just made her mad. She does seem a little thin so I've given her some wormer today in her water as its been a few months since the last time. I'm keeping her in a semi dark space that is warm.

Is there anything else I can do for her?

In my experience when a hen is down it doesn't turn out well. But unlike other downed hens, she is responsive and hungry. I want to give her the best chance to recover from mysterious chicken ailment and would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. puddinbabe

Jul 5, 2007
    Update:

After being in the house for 2 days, eating well, clucking, and occasionally standing I decided to put her outside for the day. After visiting the laying box and depositing an egg, she decided to sit again. She moves a little and then sits in one place for a long time. She does seem to be panting but its hot here and she pants from time to time. I think I'll bring her in for the night but I'm still not sure how I can help her.

Any one else experience anything like this? I would appreciate any advice!

3. Turner

Turner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Northeast OH
    Sounds like she might be going broody,,,time will tell.

4. puddinbabe

Jul 5, 2007
    She doesn't want to lay down in the laying box. Its like she doesn't have the energy to stand for long so she plops down where ever she is. She doesn't seem to have the strength to perch for too long either. Does this still sound like being broody? I haven't seen any of my other girls do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by