Hen not using new coop/ramp!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jesshaschoocks, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jesshaschoocks

Jesshaschoocks New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi there everyone! I'm having a slight chicken issue at the moment that I'm hoping one of you can help with!

I just brought the chickens a new coop with a ramp to the nesting/sleeping area which is extremely similar to their old one. I only have two hens and so it's just one of these box set ones. However only one of the girls has figured out how to get up to the sleeping/nesting areas which are at the top of the ramp.

The other girl just looks around at the bottom of the ramp and then just goes and tucks up in the corner (which has no protection from the elements etc!) and I then have to go and literally push her up the ramp every night. The second night she actually tried by herself but she fell off and got stuck and I had to go rescue her. I'm worried she is now too scared to go up by herself and I really don't want to have to help her up every night, and I don't want either of them to get too cold as they're also in the middle of a molt!!

Anyone had this issue or have any suggestions on how to get her to go up all by herself? I would really appreciate some help with this one!

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Can you lessen the angle of the ramp by raising the bottom 4 - 6 inches with a block of wood? Is the new ramp narrower than the old ramp?

3. Jesshaschoocks

Jesshaschoocks New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi Fried Green Eggs!

Yes I have tried placing a block of wood underneath the ramp as I thought it may have been too steep for her but still nothing. The ramp is not narrower than the old one but it is at a steeper angle so maybe this is the issue?

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Oh darn, guessing you will need to put her on the roost for a few nights so, she figures out where she should sleep. Then she gets to practice going down the ramp. I hope she gets over her fear of the ramp soon for you.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have no ideas for you, but I am sympathetic to you I have a special needs rooster that is afraid to jump off his roost, which forces me to go outside every morning to lift him down.

I have tried ramps with him and he refuses to use them.

6. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Instead of putting her in at night put her at the top of the ramp just a few inches from the door. Let her go in herself. Each night put her on the ramp a little further away from the door. With any luck it will only take a few times for her to get the hang of it. This is how I teach puppies that are afraid of going up stairs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by