Hen Not Walking Well

Angelbear

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
West Midlands, England
I have a hen who hadn't come out of the coup today. Getting close to laying was what I'd hoped but when no sign of her coming out still at lunchtime, I decided to check her over. I picked her out, no fuss from her, checked her legs base of feet and vent, couldn't see anything abnormal.

I put her down on the grass and she just stood for a while and then tentatively walked to the water and she seems not to be wanting to put weight on right foot. She walks normally but just seems unsure of putting weight on the leg/foot. She had a good long drink and then started on food.

She doesn't seem to have broken a toe as they are gripping well. Could she have pulled a muscle, this is the hen who has taken charge and likes to show it, so I was wondering if she strained something. I assume we just let them rest up.

It is so unusual not to have her running out to greet me, grief I've only had them just over 3 weeks and I am so used to their being around.

Well I hope i have answered this myself. I decided to go with my nurse practitioner instincts and treat for a strained muscle. I have been sat with her on my lap and a warm heat pack on the leg and side that she was wary of placing weight on.
Its taken an hour but when I put her back down, she walked away as if there was nothing wrong.
So either she is a good feiner and just wanted the attention or the heat took the pain away. I will keep an eye on her and repeat if necessary.

I have repeated twice since the last post and just been out to check on the hens, as its dusk here. All the hens are on the roosts, so hopefully she will be fine in the morning.

I have a feeling that she will be fine in the morning. Hopefully it is just a little boo-boo. Good idea with the heat pack. Sounds like it was very soothing!

I think I got as much out of it as she did! She is fine today, up and about with no hint of a problem!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom