Hen not walking

BHCF

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
I have a Rhode island red hen about 2 yrs old who has not walked in a week. I found her in the coop, with a completely laid egg, and crap all around it. I removed the egg, washed her butt down with warm water. She will not stand at all and only balances her self with her wings, she has an appetite still and is still drinking. I've moved her legs and can feel no breaks (not an expert by far) legs look to be normal. There are 8 other hens in the coop with her, all healthy. Anyone care to take a guess as to what may be wrong? any help is much appreciated. I'm 3 hours away from an avian vet.

Thanks!

I'll look that up. Is this something she could recover from?

she's not really caged, they have a large area they walk and run. So it looks as though she may have a mineral/vitamin deficiency? I'll look into the supplements needed to get her back on her feet.

she's not really caged, they have a large area they walk and run. So it looks as though she may have a mineral/vitamin deficiency? I'll look into the supplements needed to get her back on her feet.
You might want to give her some calcium. I give mine the stuff I take.

I can do that, I will head to the local farm supply tomorrow. I heard you can feed them their crushed egg shells, Is this a bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom