Hen now a Rooster

I read about this not too long ago, but can't remember where.
hmm.png
The bird is probably a hen, but she has some kind of hormonal issue, based on the lack of spurs. I have a BLR hen that has a larger comb and wattles than the other girls. She almost looks roosterish, but has never crowed or grown spurs. I'll try to get a photo of her up later.

We just took a roo back to the farm today...little sad. He has been crowing for weeks and was definitley the top bird of our five. But in the back of my head, I kept thinking, maybe she's just acting like a rooster.
sad.png

I had a coworker that had this happen. One of his 1 year old hens was attacked by an unknown animal which tore into her left side. In the process her left ovary was damaged. Apparently the left ovary is dominant in chickens (human utilize both as an egg is releaseed from one or the other every month). If the left is damaged, the right takes over ends up releasing greater amounts of testosterone than were present in the bird initially. Thus the bird exhibits the sex characteristics of a male without actually becoming male. Now, the behavior exhibited by some hens when there are no roos is not related directly to this phenomenon.

My first chickens many years ago lived a long time as long as they ate bugs out of my gardens I figured I'd let them die of old age. I never had a rooster with these hens cuz I just wanted eggs. About 5-6 years into their lives 3 of the hens grew spurs! Noone ever crowed though!

Here's a pic of my girl:

masculine_girl.jpg

I've had her since I hatched her out 3 years ago, and never once has she shown any male behavior. I kind of like her bigger comb and wattles.

It's not unusual for older girls to grow tiny spurs. I have a couple of EE girls that have them. When I mentioned about them not being on the bird in the article, I was talking about having big male spurs.

Martin Gurdon is an author who wrote funny stories about his chickens in Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance. He had a motley collection of chickens and he wrote about one of his hens that was a hermaphrodite - I wonder if it was this syndrome. I enjoyed the book, some of his stories had me rolling on the floor.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom