Hen now sounds like she is snoring HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jelena newell, Feb 26, 2017.

1. jelena newell

jelena newell Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    I have a hen that was breathing through her mouth today, and wheezing. I put her in isolation in the garage now. Now she is quite loud and sounds like she is snoring. She still does not have any drainage in eyes or nose, and no swelling. She is missing a lot of feathers in the back and has been picked on by another chicken. None of the other chickens are displaying any symptoms and are all laying.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I see no questions----but from the title it seems you are asking for help. If it was mine---at first sign I would be giving it some tylan50----I prefer oral. Good Luck

1 person likes this.
  3. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    Thank you for the advice I need it she is a sweet chicken she has been picked on a lot it seems could they have hurt her internally?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Does she have any swelling or tightness in her belly that could be fluid or ascites? Ascites can cause labored breathing. Her problem might be that or it dould be a respiratory disease. Has she been laying eggs herself? Sometimes others will peck on a weak or sick hen. Internal laying, and egg yolk peritonitis may lead to ascites, and heart failure can also be a cause. Wheezing is one of those things that can be from many things, so more details of what she has been like might help. The lack of nasal or eye drainage might be from something other than respiratory. Is there room in your coop to put her there in a crate with food and water, so that she can be with rhe chickens without being hurt?

1 person likes this.
  5. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    We have her in a large dog crate in the garage. She has had a limp from a foot all of her adult life she is not quite a year old. They were picking on my Americana I separated her then they started picking on Goldie our Copper Maran is the one who starts it. All of the other chickens are perfectly fine so far.

6. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    She feels normal as far as we can tell not bloated no swelling has always been a good layer since she started laying.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is puzzling, since she doesn't seem to fit into a lot of causes for wheezing. Some worms can affect breathing. Valbazen or fenbendazole (Safeguard liquid goat wormer) may help if it would be capillary or gapeworms. Other possibilities could be mold from a damp or wet environment.

1 person likes this.
  8. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    We clean the coop and run every week, we use pine chips in the run and coop and moisture isn't an issue.. The coop and run is quite large for 5 chickens.They do scratch down to the dirt, and we do have a lot of earth worms and snails in our garden area where we built the coop.

9. jelena newell

Feb 26, 2017
    Atchison Kansas
    I so appreciate your responses I am so stressed my daughter is autistic and the chickens are actually hers she adores them and I am so upset we are having problems. We have a total of 7 hens two are in another coop that is divided to separate the Americana (America) that has been picked on and an aggressive Rhode island red hen (Camillla)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am kind of stumped as to why she may be wheezing. I would look into her throat with a light while someone else is holding her, just to see if something might be stuck or there is some tissue or infection that might be there. Worming her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer would be the next suggestion--give her 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally for 5 consecutive days. Don't use her eggs after that for 14 more days. That would treat for capillary and gapeworms, plus all others. Do you have a vet that could see her if she gets worse? Sometimes we have to separate the meanie hens for a few days to lower their rank in the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by