1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen of 6 months sick help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grandmas Nest, Oct 24, 2011.

1. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I lost one hen about 3 weeks ago, now today I have another one sick. Yellow runny poo, she is laying on the coop floor and when I try to make her stand up she is unbalanced. I got the shot for Markes when I bought them as babies in March. All seemed fine yesterday. They are not free ranging. They have sand in there run. There is no blood in poo. I can't find anything that they could have got into and I can't find any sign of worms in poo. Also I put DE all around in coop so it shouldn't be mites. What else can it be?[​IMG]

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    What are they eating? Could they have gotten into moldy Food? Worms, maybe? Vitamin Deficiency? - Worms may not show up in their poo.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    De-worm them quick!
    I learned the hard way that worms dont show up in there poop!

4. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Wow my computer had a seizure and posted this twice...
    Anyway, it cant hurt to de-worm them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  5. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    The one that is sick I seprated and put mothers vinigar in her water which I got her to drink a little but she hasn't moved at all. What do I use to deworm them and do I have to throw the eggs out? They are on a commercial layer pellet food. Then I give them cabbage, and stuff like that out of the garden.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by