Hen off balance/in pain? Help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkiesandco, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    I have a wonderful little Silkie. Ever since I got her she has had a terrible case of scaly leg mites. I have tried EVERYTHING. Lately it has gone away a bit, but there are still chunks of debris that I try my hardest to get rid of. Anyway, horse hair always gets wrapped and stuck around it so I have to get rid of it daily. But lately she has been almost off balance and wobbles over. She usually keeps one or both wings out before almost falling. Also she is not as active as the other girls, and just sits on the grass and pecks at the tiny bugs and plants. She is eating and drinking fine, nothing wrong with her stool or any other symptoms (Though she has a bit of a cold, caught by some of my new rescue chickens from a overcrowded place). I think she might be uncomfortable or in pain with her feet. What should i do? She was never like this, even with her serious symptoms. She is my favorite girl and I want her to be very healthy

Also Im going to add she does get up and runs around when there is a grasshopper/mealworm/etc.

Thanks. I need all the help I can get

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    For the leg mites, did you try something with permethrin? They should have sprays at the farm store with that active ingredient. Cat and dog ear mite drops seem to have that ingredient, too and it is in an oil base I think.

It is hard to say why she is off balance. It could be from her feet I suppose or a respiratory infection. It makes my worry about "wry neck" since silkies are more susceptible to this problem. If you don't know much about it do a search on the site. Hopefully you can just rule it out as a possibility, but it is a good thing to be aware of never the less.

It is always a good sign when they will run for food [​IMG]

3. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    scratch'n'peck :

For the leg mites, did you try something with permethrin? They should have sprays at the farm store with that active ingredient. Cat and dog ear mite drops seem to have that ingredient, too and it is in an oil base I think.

It is hard to say why she is off balance. It could be from her feet I suppose or a respiratory infection. It makes my worry about "wry neck" since silkies are more susceptible to this problem. If you don't know much about it do a search on the site. Hopefully you can just rule it out as a possibility, but it is a good thing to be aware of never the less.

It is always a good sign when they will run for food [​IMG]

She is breathing a little funny. Thanks. Im going to make another topic about how to cure respiratory infections since i dont think anyone will post it here since its a whole different topic​

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by