Hen off eggs overnight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rmyer, Sep 9, 2010.

1. rmyer

rmyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    Hi All, I transferred a clutch of eggs and moved my black hen inside the coop, as we have a predator problem. I should have confined her with the eggs,(live and learn). She was off them all night. I am in Pa and temps went to about 55 last night. This morning I did confine with eggs and she is back setting again. I pray I did't blow it. According to some blogs, a bit of luck and prayers and sometimes they will hatch. Any comments or insight?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I have had eggs get that cold for over 24 hours an still hatch fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    They may hatch.....depends on luck and how far they were along in incubation.....but don't give up yet,

Sandie

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

It`s always iffy moving a broody. Probably leaving her unprotected would have resulted in losing her and the eggs. I confine my broodies to a small pen from about day 2. I learned that the hard way, too. Ya got nothing to lose letting her go the distance, but if she hasn`t been on them long, I would consider replacing them with some fresh ones. At least that would improve your chances. Good luck.......Pop

5. ella98

ella98 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    hello on the same subject my chicken died i think she was shocked, i only had nine days left until they hatched (she had been sitting on them for 12 days) do you reckon any of mine will hatch.
    thankyou
    p.s. she was sitting on 4 eggs

6. rmyer

rmyer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    thanks Everyone, I suspect I have a good two weeks left. I will let you know the outcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by