1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen off nest twelve hours day 19 to 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pinkyglory123, Dec 25, 2012.

1. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Total disaster. Hen locked off nest for twelve hours-eggs day 19-20 under broody. So upset. She got back on them-not done being broody. Will leave them with her. Total loss I assume? I feel very, very (very) guilty. Very. Mixed batch of naked necks and frizzles. sigh. PS otherwise "Merry Christmas. We had snow Christmas Eve. Very pretty. The kids must be going nuts!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've read stories of people here who were incubating eggs and accidentally had their incubators turned off for hours, one for 24 hours. Their chicks hatched out fine. I had a broody hen misplace an egg once. It was raining and the egg somehow rolled out of the coop and got soaked. I've no idea how long it was laying there in the rain before I found it. I popped it back under the hen and it hatched out 2 days later. So don't worry. They are tough little things. If your coop wasn't absolutely freezing cold inside they should be o.k.

3. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh i hope it wasn't a total loss for you [​IMG] Hope sumi's right and things turn out ok. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I'm sure at LEAST a few will make it. :)

5. pinkyglory123

pinkyglory123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Oh My, I had no idea some may hatch. It is def less than freezing in the coop-water never freezes-eggs were not ICE cold but def cool. Fingers crossed for now. Time will tell. Nature def is a miraculous thing. Thanks for the encouragenent. I knew if it was out there on Christmas Day it would be on this forum![​IMG] And Merry Christmas!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some of us BYC addicts don't care what day it is, we're here LOL. I hope your eggs hatch out fine and on time. Note: the cooling down may have delayed development a bit, so don't panic if they don't hatch bang on time on day 21.

And Merry Christmas to you too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by