Hen off of her legs!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gothski, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Gothski

Gothski New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Hello! i have a sussex light hen that has gone off of her legs and i am not sure what to do with her. about a week ago she was walking like she was drunk but about 4 days ago she started just sitting about, like she cant use her legs at all. we have been leaving her inside the coop going out every now and then to check on her and giving her food, she doesnt appear to eat much, but we leave the food out with her and its gone the next time we check on her, but it could be the other hens eating it (though they normally spend the day shut in the garden and nowhere near the coop). today i went out to check on the hens to find her outside the coop on her side in the rain unable to get up! (shes obviously managed to get up and walk out of the coop on her own and we think she may have gone to get a drink of water) i got a towel and brought her in (gave her a wash as she was covered in muck off of the floor!) and sat her wrapped up in a blanket to get warm, as she was very cold when we found her! she seems very alert, looking about at all the strange 'house' noises, but if we sit her on the floor she tries to move and rolls onto her side. i dont know how old the hen is as she came with the house when we moved here about 2 months ago (with 3 others and a rooster), we have previous experience of hen keeping and brought our coop with us with the intention of getting more hens, but dont want to get any at the moment with our sick hen. also not long after we moved in we had a hen die, she was limping and was told that it was due to a dog attack, she just got weak and died, and because of this im thinking we may have mareks disease? any advice please? is it ok for her to continue to sit in the coop with the other hens?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. OakHillFarm

OakHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    it could be bumble foot try checking her legs for sighs of it. she might get even more sick by siting in the coop and collecting dust and poop for now just make sure she is in a clean area

3. Gothski

Gothski New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    she doesnt appear to have anything wrong with her feet/legs (we have had a hen in the past with bumble foot) doesnt appear to have a lot of movement in her feet though as she doesnt grab out finger when we put them under her feet but she can move her feet and legs (she was kicking a lot when i went to wrap her in a towel). as shes been sat inside we have been offering her some food stuffs and shes taken a liking to the bread and has eaten about half a slice (we have been told by previous owners that they often fed the hens bread as they seemed fond of it though their normal feed is just plain corn as they free range the large garden)

4. carlsaSC

carlsaSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Had a hen do this after brooding a clutch of chicks. I first noticed she was sleeping on the floor of the coop, not up in the roosts. Gradually, she became less mobile. Eventually, I put her in one of the unused nest boxes. Food that was put near her would disappear. Eventually, she died. Hope you have a better outcome, but chickens die for unknown reasons. A friend said her parents wrote in a diary that they were quitting chickens because they seemed to die for no apparent reason. Have lost three that way over the past 3 years. The eggs are great, and their behavior is always, well, mostly entertaining. I doubt you have Marek's disease in your flock. That would be too terrible and a reason to swear off chickens forever.

5. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Bread and corn is not a very rounded diet for a chicken. Bread is just "filler" with little nutrients in it and corn has energy and not a lot else. Can you get some supplements in her, such as Rooster Booster and feed her a chicken crumble mash with lots of water mixed in-think of soupy oatmeal consistency?

6. Gothski

Gothski New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    thanks for the advice so far guys! we have put extra bedding down where she sits in the coop and changing it often, i told my parents about their feed not being a good diet and they have gone out to find some better chicken food. we offered her some chopped up blueberries, strawberries and cucumber (our hens at the last property liked these) and shes eaten some of that, she seems to be wanting to move about a bit more, as we keep finding her in different places on her side. fingers crossed she recovers!

7. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

We're all rooting for her! You've done a great job of looking for advice and then following through. [​IMG]

8. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't had this happen to any of my hens, but did you check her vent? I've seen many other threads when a hen was egg bound or had egg yolk perontitis and had something similar happen. My suggestion is to give her a bath and gently feel around the vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by