Hen older than thought/told - Complicated

ReelFaster

Songster
Feb 16, 2021
S.Jersey
So 5 weeks ago I purchased 3 chickens from a farm locally (another from a local women). Being mid Feb I didn't expect them to lay much, however I was getting eggs here and there. Past 2 weeks they've really picked up laying, except for one, I suspect she's never laid once with me.

Now this particular hen (Buff Orpington) has always been standoffish since I got her, she is mostly off to the side. She eats, drinks and is pooping just fine (more on that in a bit). When I give them a few treats, she tries to get some and does but is always in the back behind the other 3. She is bullied and picked on by 2 of them, not terrible but noticeable. She walks much more reserved and calculated. She will not eat out of my hand like the others, she is gentle and docile when I try and pick her up, she does not fight or run much at all and submits. Others seem much more curious and full of energy. When I let them out to free range she is always way way way behind barely comes out of the run, when she does, she is always by herself doing her own thing, very slow and calculated.

Complicated Part: Last week she had a sour crop 100% for sure. I was able to get her to expel it 2x and have treated with monistat for 7 days. I checked her crop almost every morning and it's been empty since doing the expulsion, she's doing much better.

Just looking at her she looks older, or maybe just worn or sick. Her legs are huge, looks like dinosaur legs. Her nails are by far the biggest of any of them, very long. Her comb about 3-4 weeks ago was faded a bit, gotten a little reder but weather has gotten much warmer. I am thinking I was sold an older non laying hen. I've never ever seen her in the box. I've witnessed other 3 many many times in the box. I know there is really no way to confirm her age. I feel bad for her but at same time feel a little slighted.

I'm sorry. It's also possible that she's always had health issues.

I'm not an expert who could tell signs of age, but if you post photos maybe someone else would know?

There is always the risk when you buy mature adult hens that someone is passing a problem bird to someone else. :(

Thank you and so true. I am brand spanking new to chickens so I didn't do my homework fully on vetting them. Lesson learned and I am learning so much as I go and from this awesome website.

Here are few pics of her and her feet. I just noticed what I think might be a spur? The one is when she had sour crop, you can see how enlarged it was.

Attachments

• 20210308_120510.jpg
    20210308_120510.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210317_143755.jpg
    20210317_143755.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210324_182915.jpg
    20210324_182915.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 18
Don't feel too bad. This exact same thing happened to me when I was a newbie. Of the first 3 hens that I bought from a lady with a bunch of hens, one never, ever laid an egg. She was a lovely girl, who would sit on my lap and eat treats from between my lips (Chicken Kisses). She lived for around 7 years (give or take a year) with us before she passed of old age.
I enjoyed her so much and in the end was really glad she was part of our flock.
Sorry you got taken and hope your hen gives you as much enjoyment as ours did.
:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom