Hen on eggs not drinking, have to force her to eat - normal??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by technodoll, Dec 5, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    How long can a hen sitting on eggs go without water?

We brought our girl inside last wednesday morning, she's been like this since then:

[​IMG]

By Friday morning she had not eaten one crumb of food or drank a drop of water, despite coaxing.

I was away for the weekend so instructed DH to bring her to the coop where her surroundings were familiar, maybe she was afraid of the plastic in the dog crate. Well it worked, she finally pooped after 3 long days, ate for 5 minutes but did NOT drink. She free-ranged for a few minutes then DH brought her back to the house where she was frantic to sit on the eggs.

Same routine twice a day since then, DH has not seen her drink.

She has food and water in the cardboard box, a few inches from her nose, but does not touch anything.

Is this normal?

Will she be OK for the next 2.5 weeks like this?

Her crop was empty tonight [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

This is normal. My hens rarely leave the nest for food or water. As time goes on, she will get up & drink more often. I put a handfull of food in front of them in the nest & they will gobble it up.

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It's normal. Just keep food and water available but don't try to force it on her.

4. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    OK thank you... was worried about dehydration but I guess she knows what she's doing? [​IMG]

Will continue to bring her out to the coop twice a day so she can eat, stretch, poop, dust bathe and free-range for a few minutes.

The eggs are covered and warm during this time, I just want HER to take some time out 15 minutes a day!

Silly mommas... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by