Hen on eggs roughly 32 days

snikrs11

Chirping
Apr 4, 2017
Hello there, I have a guinea hen who has been sitting on her eggs for roughly 32 days. I candled them in the beginning to see if they were fertile and I don't think so but I think she knows they are. She has gone broody in the past but only sat on her eggs for three nights maximum. Since she's been on these for so long I feel like she knows they are fertile we do have a male and I have seen them mate. Will she hatch the eggs if she's been on them more than the 26 to 28 day time frame? I would hate for her to be sitting on them this long and nothing happen but I also don't want to take them away from her if they will hatch.

Thank you

Hello there, I have a guinea hen who has been sitting on her eggs for roughly 32 days. I candled them in the beginning to see if they were fertile and I don't think so but I think she knows they are. She has gone broody in the past but only sat on her eggs for three nights maximum. Since she's been on these for so long I feel like she knows they are fertile we do have a male and I have seen them mate. Will she hatch the eggs if she's been on them more than the 26 to 28 day time frame? I would hate for her to be sitting on them this long and nothing happen but I also don't want to take them away from her if they will hatch.

Thank you
The hen can only tell if the eggs are fertile when they are internally pipped and can begin talking to her. If you can candle them now, do so. You will quickly know whether or not there are any fertile eggs in the batch.

View attachment 1850546 IMG_20190622_093824.jpg
Just curious how many eggs shes sitting on?

First time guinea owner here. Will a guinea wait to go broody until she has a good sized pile of eggs?

Hi, she only has 2. I think they go broody when they feel like it. That's just my opinion since she only has 2 I'm not positive though. Last year one of the times she was broody there were 18 but as I kept checking on her there were less and less. She was eating them I believe.

She finds the beat places to nest. This time it took me a week to find her.

Here are pictures of her eggs when I got them in the beginning. That brush pile is where she is. Hewey (husband) is the Pearl and Hope is the cream one.

Funny story .....Huey had been a single bird for many years as wildlife kept taking away his siblings. Two years ago he went missing overnight and I thought he was gone but he came home with Hope the next morning. They have inseparable ever since.

So I candled her eggs a day after I posted this one was not fertile and the other egg was dead. :(. She stayed on her nest for one more day and ever since she's been out with her husband. Sad that she that long for nothing. Thank you all for responding

Back
Top Bottom