hen on roost all day and gurgling rooster

unourroll

Hatching
8 Years
May 23, 2011
NEWBIE here! i want to thank all in advance for any advice. i recently was givin a hen unknown of what kind. (gold in color fairly big) and a big RIR rooster. the rooster crows sounds like he is gurgling and the hen has all her feathers off on the back area and i noticed she is staying on roost all day except to eat.

i have them seperate from my other 8 hens to be safe. any ideas?

Is he just making the odd gurgle sound when he is crowing or does he sound gurgley when breathing? If it is just a crowing sound than you probably do not have anything to worry about. If it is due to him not catching his breath or he is having trouble breathing then you have something to worry about.

Keep them seperate for at least 30 days. If there is something wrong you will start to see it in this time frame. If you just got them they are probably nervous about coming down from the roost as the area is so new and different to them.

update- rooster is just doing this as he crows....the hen finally came down and drank a bunch of water and eat a lot. she did forage around as well most of the day yesterday.

again thanks for all whom posted and i will be back with any more issues. i did break down and buy a book yesterday as well. so i hope i can be a assiantance to anyone in the future.

The feathers on the hen's back would be missing because she's been living with a rooster who was over-amorous toward her. You can make or buy her a chicken saddle to protect her back (You can also use duct tape--Do a 'Search' to find how to use it correctly).
Once, I had a hen that was starving because she was afraid to go down to the floor where she could eat but would have to deal with roosters. I got her a chicken saddle & then she was able to happily join the flock.
When your rooster has more hens, she might get bred less & be able to grow some feathers back.
The problem might already be resolved, but if not, there are some solutions.

Back
Top Bottom