Hen on silky hen attacks?

WhatTheCluck89

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Ottawa, Ontario, Beautiful Canada
I have been reading some articles but would like some advice on my specific situation.

For starters I have 8 full sized chickens(all a year and under) (1 rooster, 7 hens) and 3 silkie hens. I notice sometimes the hens being mean to the silkies but nothing too serious. Until recently one of the hens attacked my white silky. She really did a number on her. I separated all the silkies. And waited until she healed and tried to reintroduce them. The minute the white silkie was back in the coop with the group she got attacked again. So they are all separated again. They can see each other. And I have about 18 chicks I'm going to introduce to the group soon. ( probably actually about half that amount as I think a bunch are boys, and I only want to keep the one rooster).

So I'm wondering if I should try separating the bully? ( If it is infact one hen)

Or maybe wait until I put the pullets with the group ? And integrate them all at the same time. I have a decently large coop (about 10x20 feet and 10 feet high ). More than enough room. And I use electric fencing that I move on occasion so they aren't free ranging but they have alot of outdoor room as well.

My last option would be making a separate silky coop. - I'd rather not do this.

EEforMe

Songster
Sep 5, 2021
You might have to separate permanently but first make sure you have plenty of things in their run - sticks, old furniture, perches, etc - for any bullied hens to run through and get away. If you have some holes the silkies can get through that the full-size hens can’t get through that would be really good. Another thing is entertainment. If your chooks are bored they will resort to bullying. I hang veggies on a string for them to jump up and get. There’s some good ideas I’ve seen where there’s an extension of the run with an entrance that only the smaller hens can get through, that way they’d have a safe spot. If you do that, you could also give them their own food and water in there so they don’t end up fighting over that. I hope things work out!

WhatTheCluck89

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Ottawa, Ontario, Beautiful Canada
You might have to separate permanently but first make sure you have plenty of things in their run - sticks, old furniture, perches, etc - for any bullied hens to run through and get away. If you have some holes the silkies can get through that the full-size hens can’t get through that would be really good. Another thing is entertainment. If your chooks are bored they will resort to bullying. I hang veggies on a string for them to jump up and get. There’s some good ideas I’ve seen where there’s an extension of the run with an entrance that only the smaller hens can get through, that way they’d have a safe spot. If you do that, you could also give them their own food and water in there so they don’t end up fighting over that. I hope things work out!

Thank you. I do have stuff in the run, trees, bushes, hedges, large rocks, and I have made some things for them out of wood , an old bucket etc. Since the frost I have also been giving them garden leftovers every other day for something to peck at. But I think I might try and make the silkies a coop and run with in my existing electric fencing maybe put a small hole so they can come in and out... I imagine when I introduce the pullets I will have the same problem so they will also need an area to seek off to. Thanks for your suggestion.

EEforMe

Songster
Sep 5, 2021
Thank you. I do have stuff in the run, trees, bushes, hedges, large rocks, and I have made some things for them out of wood , an old bucket etc. Since the frost I have also been giving them garden leftovers every other day for something to peck at. But I think I might try and make the silkies a coop and run with in my existing electric fencing maybe put a small hole so they can come in and out... I imagine when I introduce the pullets I will have the same problem so they will also need an area to seek off to. Thanks for your suggestion.
Of course! Sounds like you’re doing everything right but you just have a mean hen :barnie

Top Bottom