hen on strike?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peartreehens, Jan 3, 2014.

1. peartreehens

peartreehens Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    Hi all. I have a mixed flock who've been together since they were tiny. They all hatched this last spring. My BO, who is midlevel in the pecking order, hasn't laid and egg for probably 10 days. The other girls are laying as usual. Everyone lays a different colored egg, so I know it's hers that's missing. I do use supplemental lighting. It's on for a few hours in the morning (none in the evening), so with daylight, they're up about 13 or 14 hours every day. She doesn't act differently than she used to, other than when I let her out of the run, she won't let me near her anymore--runs off and no longer squats for me. I dunno if this has anything to do with the egg laying strike or if it's just that we've had a ton of snow so they haven't been out of the run (or interacted with kids or manhandled by me) much lately. Not sure what's up. I'd wonder if she's broody, but she's never in a nest box... She still seems to be eating/drinking fine, and the weather has actually been warmer and drier (well, no snow and highs in the 40s instead of teens) these last two weeks. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if she is just taking a break - not at all unusual.

3. peartreehens

peartreehens Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2013
    first egg in a month showed up today! thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by