Hen Once Loving, Now---> Attitude!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jan336, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

What is up with my hen? She used to be so loving, and would come to me all the time. Now, she hangs back. Acts leary and gives me attitude. Almost like she is too good for me. LOL

She is in a large condo type coop. Just opened the enclosed upper section for winter. Up until this and still attitude. Im lost....

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Is she your only bird?

3. Jan336

She is a black sex link, about 6 months old. I had raised her with a rooster and another comet hen I got all at the same time, but lost those two. She is with 2 silver dorking roosters. One is the dominate. The other is a submissive follower and all seem to get along great.

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    two roos with one hen? you need to either get more hens or get rid of one roo.She seems to not want to be bothered because the boys bother her too much.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    dang teenagers. [​IMG]

6. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Quote:Exactly. Two roos with one hen? That doesn't seem balanced at all!

7. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Quote:lol poor hen.....

8. Jan336

Now I am getting attitude from everyone. Sigh.... I am just a newbie. I am selling the roosters. I mind as well give up on having chickens all together. I feel like a failure. [​IMG]

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Don't say that. Everyone makes mistakes, and besides, you said you are selling the roosters. Most people keep at least 5 hens to 1 rooster. If you can't sell the other roo, maybe you could put him in another pen temporarly.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Not at all. It's a learning experience for everyone. They aren't trying to give you attitude.

They are just trying to tell you that your girl is stressed. She's being pursued constantly by 2 roosters for mating. Stressed hens also can lead to them quitting laying. Get her some girlfriends and get rid of at least 1 rooster. She'll be much happier and so will you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by