hen only broody at night??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blkcloud, Oct 19, 2007.

1. blkcloud

blkcloud New Egg

Oct 19, 2007
    I have about a dozen eggs in a nesting box, all 5 of my hens are laying in it..at night one of them will go in and cover the eggs like she is broody..but..the next morning she is off and scratching around like all the others.. she never returns except at night, will this cause me to have a batch of half incubated eggs?? thanks!!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    yup...she isn't broody...they won't be any good if she just does this at night...not for eating either....when a hen is really broody she will set all the time day and night only getting off long enough to eat,drink and poo once in awhile...she puffs up and growls......

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Some chickens like to sleep in the nesting box, my goldilocks always sleeps on eggs, perhaps yours isnt really broody?She shouldnt get off all day if she is. she will sit firm!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, she's not broody, just has a bad habit.

5. blkcloud

blkcloud New Egg

Oct 19, 2007
    will the eggs still hatch if she does happen to become broody?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My opinion..you can leave them for a few days...date them and then if it doesn't look promising...throw those and add new ones but date them...after 10 or so days if she is not setting they are going to be bad and rot....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by