Hen or a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Iloveourbabychick, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Iloveourbabychick

Iloveourbabychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    Our chick is 24 days old.We were hoping for a hen but see small little nubs growing on the back of her/his legs.Is this a roo thing or could she still be a hen?

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Do you have a pic?

3. Iloveourbabychick

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    Heres a picture of Happy.And does anyone know maybe an idea of what breed she/he might be?shes got such a feminine face to be a roo.let me know what you think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    My understanding is that all chickens get spurs, roos are just bigger, so I don't think that means anything at this point. The main thing to look for is the comb and the wattles, bigger & redder usually mean rooster. I don't really know on the breed, but it does look like she has little puffy cheeks and if that is the case than my guess is Easter Egger (EE). I love her coloring!!! I want one just like it.

I just looked at the pictures again, and the comb is pretty wide and the legs are pretty thick. If I had to make a guess, I would guess Roo.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    it doesn't look like a roo. Maybe a BLRW (Blue Laced Red Wyandotte)? [​IMG]

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My guess is for a Roo ... but, it's just a guess made because of the more pronounced comb and wattles already showing at that age.

7. Iloveourbabychick

Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    The little what i thought was spurs is towards the insides of her legs not directly in the back.We love Happy no matter what he/she is.Thank so much

8. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I agree, based upon age, probably a cockerel. It is a blue laced red Wyandotte!

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All chickens do not get spurs...roosters do and once in a blue moon a hen will have spurs...but all chicks have those nubs, that is not a way to tell gender....rooster spurs start to grow around 8 or 9 months sometimes later.....

10. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Those are some really thick legs. I think it is a Blue-laced Red Wyandotte cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by