Hen or a Rooster, maybe even what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Putt-Putney, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Putt-Putney

Putt-Putney New Egg

May 7, 2012
    New Hampshire
    To start off, these two chickens are rescues. They came together, and are the near to the same age.
    I know the chicken in the back (Willard), is indeed a rooster, what breed? I have no idea. The chicken in the front hasn't shown any signs of being a rooster like the other one. He crows, attempts to mate with hens, and does many other roostery things. ha, but I just do not have a clue what gender this chicken is. It's name is Poppy, and I'm still unsure of the breed. Any guesses on gender or guesses on breed for either one? They very well could be crosses!

Thanks everybody! :)
    -Kait

2. Putt-Putney

Putt-Putney New Egg

May 7, 2012
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    whoops, it didn't upload the photo the first time- so here it is!

3. Comeonbroodyhen

Comeonbroodyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The white one in the front looks like a apenzeller spitzhauben

4. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    A spitzhauben should not have a beard. I'm guessing it's a mix of some kind; a Spitzhauben/bearded Polish perhaps, or maybe a Brabanter crossed with something dominant white. I'm thinking boy.

Is the one in back one of those Icelandic chickens?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I think they are both roosters. Often the submissive one doesn't crow.... But I could be totally wrong as I am not familiar with polish. I think I see some saddle feathers though..

6. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    X2 on the saddle feathers

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Both are definite roosters and both are mixes. Mixed with some crested breed.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. Both roos. I'm not good with crested breeds so I'm not sure what they're mixed with but we have some folks who are good with those types that should poke their heads in sometime!

9. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    The white one may be an Houdan cross? They are very rare in some parts of the world so it depends on how common they are where you live. How many toes does he have? Houdans have 5.

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the blue/red roo is a polish cross of some sort the white roo looks to be pure polish, but a mixed color or someones project color like the black crested whites

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by