Hen or Cockerel Barred Rock

tlynns

Chirping
Dec 5, 2015
Hi everyone!

We are new to the chicken world, but so excited! We had three little chicks come in the mail about a week ago... All are supposed to be hens, but I have my doubts about the one on the right in the first picture. It's supposed to be a barred rock, which I believe it is :), but what do you think about gender? Cockerel or Hen? Is it too early to determine? This one is the sweetest of the bunch and smart (well, for a chicken)! DOB is 11/30/15. Thanks in advance everyone!

It has been a while since I had BR chicks, and maybe the lighting in your photos is making the chick appear lighter than it really is, but I think you could be right. You should be able to tell with relative certainty in about 3-4 weeks as it feathers out. Pullets are darker than cockerels. Here is a thread that could be helpful if you compare your chick to the pictures in the thread: www.backyardchickens.com/t/798635/sight-sexing-barred-plymouth-rock-chicks-at-hatch/0_20

Thank you everyone! I guess we will have to patiently wait for another 4-6 weeks. Until then we will keep our fingers crossed that this very cute "she" is really a she!!!

Have a wonderful evening! I will post more picture soon!

Back
Top Bottom