Hen or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurenElise, Nov 16, 2013.

1. LaurenElise

LaurenElise New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    [​IMG]

Hello, we have always had hens because we rescue them from battery farms but we always kno that they will be hens and they will be around 18 months old. I am secondary school teacher and the science dept had hatched eggs but only two hatched out of 5. I said I would take them home and now I am wondering whether they are hens or cockerels? Could someone please advise me? I've been looking at all the different clues on these forums but I can't work out which feathers, tails, chest, saddle I'm supposed to be looking at. It would be really nice to name them. They are both approximately 6 weeks old, one brown, one golden yellow. Help is much appreciated :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    The secondary sex feathers you are looking for don't tend to start showing up on the males till at least 3 months old, though some can take a little longer.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Better sideway pictures would help.

I think the first chicken is a cockeral.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm leaning toward cockerel on the first bird, due to the coloring, but I'm not 100% as there's not a ton of comb and the legs aren't hugely thick. Second bird looks pullet so far.

5. LaurenElise

LaurenElise New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Thank you for some light on my little chicks :) xxxx I can tell my mum and grandad now what you have said. I will wait 3 months and then possibly put up more pics to see if there is more change :) thanks again

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    First one looks like a cockerel. Second one is a bit more difficult but I'm leaning towards rooster with that much of a comb showing. I'd give that one another week or so to be sure though.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. LaurenElise

LaurenElise New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Il take another pic of them tmro because yesterday their combs went red. I'm excited :)

9. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Ha ha...it's not easy...is it

10. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    how old are they?
    saddle feathers are the ones located right in front of the tailfeathers...pointed ones are male...rounded are female...
    It's hard to tell ...much easier when fluffy chicks...females have two layers of wing feathers..males have one...fes have longer tail. Sprouts...males have shorter...males take longer to lose baby fluff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by