hen or crowless rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hippiechook, Jun 24, 2011.

1. hippiechook

hippiechook Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    manildra, nsw, australia
    i have a very odd chook she/he is im pretty sure both sexes she is a silver spangled hamburg who lays eggs BUT she also has very big spurs and she fights the other roosters just like a rooster what is anyones opinion please is this comon?

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    If she lays eggs she is a female. Spurs on females are not uncommon; I have had several (one of which is a hamburg). However, my females with spurs were no more aggressive than spur-less hens, so I don't think the aggressiveness is necessarily correlated with the spurs. I think you have a hen with spurs, who just happens to be aggressive.

If these chickens did not grow up together, and were recently put together, I am not surprised to hear of a hen fighting roosters. In my experience, the lead hen of a rooster-less flock will not submit to a new rooster without a fight. If they have always been together, well, it is unusual that she fights the boys.

3. hippiechook

Jun 19, 2011
    manildra, nsw, australia
    Quote:ok well ty thats great to know that its not uncommon her name is hamburger and she has grown up with the boys but i think it could be when they try to saddle her she fights them?

4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Could be, and once they get her, she will probably eventually settle down, and accept one as leader. At least that's what I've seen with mine.

5. hippiechook

Jun 19, 2011
    manildra, nsw, australia
    Quote:hmm ok cool ty very much
    on a nother question you may know the answer too, how can you tell if a chick is a pullet or cockrell? and a silly q im sure but what do people mean when they ask is it a roo?
    we have just had our first egg hatch from incubation about 6 weeks ago and im hoping she is a girl but i cant tell her/his name is tickles (my 5yr old claimed it [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by