1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen? or late bloomer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LOPRFYLER, Aug 9, 2008.

1. LOPRFYLER

LOPRFYLER Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    I was wondering if a hen can have pointed neck feathers. One of my 7 week old chicks (that is the offspring of a banty mut hen and cornish X) has a small greyish yellow comb, is very quiet and withdrawn when others try to pick a fight, doesn't try to crow (my roos are trying, but sound funny), and has tail pointed down. I was thinking hen, but the pointed neck feathers makes me wonder if it's a late bloomer rooster. The other roos have pink combs and upward pointed tails. I thought maybe someone here might be able to help before I introduce it to a coop with 3 banty hens and 1 rooster. Here's a couple bad pics ( It didn't want it's picture taken ).[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a pretty little girl. [​IMG] Yes her feathers are pointy but not like a male's.

Here's another pullet with pointy feathers.
    [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Ella, if you don 't mind my asking, what type of pullet is in your picture? She's very striking looking; a beautiful bird.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

She's a silver phoenix and a real sweetie. Both her and the cockerel I have are wonderful little things, I'm really loving them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by