hen or not

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lily1, Nov 28, 2010.

1. lily1

lily1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    vernonia, or
    I have what I thought was three hens. I was getting three eggs a day, give or take, until this last cold snap. I woke up this am to the youngest Cock-a-doodle-dooing. Loudly. Proudly. I couldn't believe it till I went out and saw for myself. Yep, it was crowing alright. My question is do hens crow if there is no rooster? If not then I guess one of my hens is a very good producer of eggs taking up the slack. You don't think the three of them conspired to keep the little guy out of the pot do you? My city ord does not allow roos.... so I am really hoping that hens crow!!!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    sometimes hens try and crow, especially if there is no roo.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would think, if you have 3 birds and you are getting 3 eggs a day, then you have 3 girls, no matter the noise. Could you post a picture?

4. lily1

lily1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    vernonia, or
    Thanks, I will quote you if my neighbors put up a fuss

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. lily1

lily1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    vernonia, or
    @yaychicks Sorry I have no camera that connects to my PC

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Do you have a cell phone that takes pictures? You could email them to yourself and then post them.

7. HAL_9000

HAL_9000 Out Of The Brooder

When I was a kid I had an EE hen that I caught in the big field next to the school.. had her for several years.. in the mornings she would make a very clear rooster crow.. it wasn't as loud and alot higher pitched but it was a defiante cockadoodledoo.. it ws actually very funny to hear the crowing hen...

8. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    One of my hens crowed the other morning and sounded just like a roo. She was mad at me, because she wasn't allowed to go free range with her pals (trying to break her of broody behavior), so she just let it rip with quite the crowing![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by