1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen :) or Roo :0 - What is my NewHampshire Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by backyardgirls, Jun 13, 2007.

1. backyardgirls

backyardgirls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Bakersfield, CA
    Here are pictures of my backyard girls. I am afraid my New Hampshire Red is a Roo! They are all 6 to 7 weeks old, all three are about the same size.
    New Hampshire Red (Hortence)Roo?????, Barred Rock (Junebug) Hen???, Ameraucana (Gertie) Hen???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yep, I think you're correct. Cute little flock!

3. backyardgirls

backyardgirls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    Bakersfield, CA
    I'm new to chicken keeping and I know I can't have a rooster in my area. Any ideas on what to do if he/she is a rooster? Should I take him back to the feed store? Any help would be great because he/she is a really good little chick [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    yea i would place money down and say its a boy with confidence!! If i lived near by I would take him in!! he looks sso cute!!

5. ausash

ausash Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    I have a little guy that looks just like him and he is definitely all rooster. (in fact him and his two little barred rock buddies will hopefully be going to the feed store soon) I don't know about your feed store but mine here will buy back my roosters from me if they don't already have too many. If they sold it to you as a pullet then you might see what they will do for you. It is worth a shot.

Michelle

6. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks just like my NHR that turned out to be a roo. I was able to take him back to the feedstore though, so you should try that -good luck!

7. masonjarmomma

masonjarmomma New Egg

Jun 12, 2014
    What gender did the birds end up being?

8. Rafter H Farms

Rafter H Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    It's a shame you can't keep little Hortence because he is going to be a handsome roo to go with your two pullets but here is another thought. You could post an ad on our local Craigslist to sell or give him away and/or place an ad in our local shoppers paper. Either way it costs you nothing and you may be helping a fellow poultry keeper out. I peruse both of these places regularly and there have been times that I have been desperately hoping to find a roo after a midnight raid by a coon or ariel bombardment by a hawk , owl , or eagle. Good luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by