Hen or Roo? (8 month old)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ashleyjordan, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ashleyjordan

ashleyjordan New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    So I have a Rhode Island Red that is about 8 months old (picture at bottom) and I'm a little confused about its gender. It looks completely like a hen, but doesn't lay, crows, and is usually very distant and dominate.

She was the first of my 9 I have to get a full comb and was very dominate. I had only females at the time. After introducing a rooster, it didn't seem to fight but avoided the new roo. I noticed that it wasn't laying, so I separated it for a few days to make sure and it still didn't lay anything. It doesn't crow much and doesn't sound like the rooster, but only crows in response to the rooster's crow. It's also really chatty and coos most of the time that I'm around.

I've heard of "henny roosters," but from what I gather they still mostly have the shape of a rooster and only have female feathering. This one looks almost exactly like my other female RIR (that I know is a hen), but is a shade lighter, a little thicker, and has a much larger comb. It may not be 100% purebred since I got it at our local feed and seed store. So what is it, hen or roo? Maybe just infertile?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It definitely has hen feathers!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That's a hen, no doubt. She may have some hormonal issues, but she's female.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a hen for sure.

5. That is a hen, why she crows, I don't know. I have heard of Game hens crowing, but I have never heard of RIR hens crowing.. So, x2 on what @donrae said.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Perhaps it's a hen with confused hormones, but right now I'm leaning more towards it being a "late" or slow maturing rooster. Can you please post some pics later so we can verify, if it's not too much trouble? Will be very interesting to find out!

I had one rooster who only revealed himself as a rooster at about a year old. It's uncommon but not unheard of.

This chook of yours has many typical cockerel traits and may be a hormonally conflicted individual or a slow male, and I think it's possibly the latter.

7. ashleyjordan

ashleyjordan New Egg

Feb 2, 2014
    I really appreciate it. She/he isn't causing any problems so I'm keeping it either way! Until fights break out, it stays :)

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 My guess is late developing roo...hormonal issues either way...let us know what you finally figure out.
    Lady of McCamley

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Did your rooster ever crow ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by