Hen or roo?! Added better pictures

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kwphotomom, Jan 8, 2017.

1. kwphotomom

kwphotomom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    2.5 weeks old. Silver and gold Wyandotte chicks. Is the largest one a rooster? We were told they are hens, but I know it's impossible to be 100% sure immediately upon hatching (we got them at one day). The largest chick has been a bit larger from the day we got them, and she's always been the ruler of the flock. Anyone know if it's possible to determine gender at this age? Anyone want to guess?! I have several other photos of them as younger birds in an album on my profile if anyone wants to peek at them there :).

Bird in question (Leia)
    [​IMG]

Siblings (Sugar and Ginger) hens
    [​IMG]

And all three together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "Leia" is looking like a cockerel.

3. kwphotomom

Jan 7, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thanks for your reply! May I ask what characteristics give you clues to determine gender? What should I watch for over the next few weeks?! We are really new to chickens, these babies are our first, so I have so much to learn!

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Wyandotte can be trickier than other breeds to sex early. Pullets combs and wattles will be pink earlier than other breeds. As they get in there feathers roosters will be more messy in their markings usually, especially around the shoulders.

Your chicks are too young for anything but random guesses. You will have to be patient and see what happens for a few weeks.

Repost when they are closer to 2-3 months of age.

1 person likes this.
  5. kwphotomom

Jan 7, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely post more pics later :)

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    too young for definitive ID but Leia is showing start of red comb - keep an eye on how that develops

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2. [​IMG]

~Alex

8. kwphotomom

Jan 7, 2017
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They are still the same age in these pictures, but I finally got some better photos of them and thought I would share :D She even seems to always stand a little differently than the other two, perhaps that is her showing dominance over them though. She pecks at them while they eat fairly often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is a very dominant stance. It's already getting in some good feathers, many times roosters will feather out more slowly. Yours does look suspicious. I have a beautiful gold laced Wyandotte rooster from last spring. He feathered out darker and more muddy on his back than the pullets did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by