Hen or Roo...? All Cochins

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Livlif2itsfulest, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Livlif2itsfulest

Livlif2itsfulest Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    Hi there.... I have posted on here before and did not get very many answers but I am hoping this is an easier questions hehe.

I have 4 hens that I got about a month ago... They are about 11-12 weeks old now and well one looks like it is growing up to be a roo. I dont know for sure because I am really new at this chicken stuff. I want to make sure I know because I have 4 small bantams in the coop (same age) with him/her and I would hate for him to crush one of them (as I have heard stories of) while doing his thing. :dizzy: Please let me know what you think and thanks ahead for you opinion!

If he/she is a roo what would you recommend doing if you were in my spot... thanks!

Jess

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    I agree it looks like a rooster ................ I have never raised Cochins though. The others are not developing combs like that one though. I always find someone to give my extras away to. Maybe you can ask the place you got them from.

3. Livlif2itsfulest

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    Aw thanks for the reply... I emailed the farm yesterday to see what he recommends and if I can grab another same age hen from him... ugh uh oh I just want the little ones to be hurt when he starts his duties!

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have a full size maran roo with my little banty serama hen and 3 frizzled banty cochins. He has never hurt any of them.

He does look rooish but not totally, hopefully you have an early blooming pullet.

5. Livlif2itsfulest

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    Great... That is good to know I was just so worried about how big cochins get and how small bantams are. I can live through the crowing really it is ok... but I would hate to loose hens because if him... he has a really sweet nature to him! (or her) [​IMG]

Another question... when would he crow than and start mounting? (if that is what it is called in chicken lingo, sorry new to vocab here) [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup I spy a boy with my little eye.

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    That looks quite rooish to me! My cochins hens are 20 weeks old and barely have their combs!

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I would question whether they were 100% cochin. They appear to be either really poor quality or a cross of a Cochin and a clean-legged bird.

9. Livlif2itsfulest

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    Huh interesting... I got them from fancy feather farms and I was under the impression they were just Cochins but interesting... hmm... thanks for the opinions they are a lot of help

10. Livlif2itsfulest

Oct 4, 2010
    Ashland
    Here are some pictures from the top and the tail feathers hope that helps!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by