Hen or Roo Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunnysimplelife, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

This chick is just over three weeks. Can you tell from the pic if it is a hen? I cannot have a rooster where I live and am wondering about this one. Not that I know much about this one but is sure is feisty with the others and bossy too.

2. the pictures awfully small but looks like a pullet, tho i may be wrong

3. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    It is hard to tell because the picture is so small. Does there appear to be a grey wash on the front of the legs? If yes then congratulations it's a girl! If the legs are all yellow they you have a rooster.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  4. Sunnysimplelife

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    I'll try to post it again. I did something wrong I think. My first time. The legs are grey.
    [​IMG]

5. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    I am conflicted. Grey legs and black spots on the beak usually means hen but yours has more contrast in the feather color and it looks like it has longer tail feathers than mine had at that age. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. hens feather in faster.....

Yours looks like a hen

7. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    After 3 Barred rock hatches, I agree with hen. The first hatch, I thought the longer tail feathers meant rooster - wrong! The hens definitely feather in faster.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think it's a cockerel, and not a barred rock, but a black sex link. The barring is too messy for a barred rock.

9. Barred4Life

Barred4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Seems like a lot of white on the feathers for a hen, and looks kind of dark for a rooster, hehe. Tuff call! Here are mine so you can compare, they are 3 weeks old and I can now clearly see the difference in the colour in the feathers. When I compare yours to mine, I find it's closer to looking like a rooster?
    [​IMG]
    Can you spot my 3 roosters? Feathers are coming wayyyyy whiter then the hens...don't mind the Rhode Island Red in there, hehe! [​IMG]

10. Sunnysimplelife

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    Oh that scares me because I have two that look exactly the same. I cannot keep roos in my city. That would leave me with only my other two as possible hens and I really wanted four so we would get enough eggs. Bummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by