Hen or Roo Buff Orp Chicks?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NSWSNYDER, May 21, 2011.

1. NSWSNYDER

NSWSNYDER Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Menifee
    I'm new to raising chickens and have 3 buff orp chicks. They are all supposed to be hens. I'm concerned because one of them has different feathers than the others. The one on the left has wings that are darker and shorter, and he/she also stands taller than the other two. Is this normal? I'm really hoping I don't have a rooster! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    It's way too early to be sure, but keep an eye on that one. That's how my BO roo started out, less feathers and darker, and no tail.

3. NSWSNYDER

May 2, 2011
    Menifee
    I'm really hoping it's not a roo but something tells me it is. :-( We live in the suburbs and cannot have a rooster. How is the temperament of your BO rooster? Loud? Aggressive?

4. NSWSNYDER

May 2, 2011
    Menifee
    somebody??? anybody??? lol

5. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    It's not a good idea to have a roo in the city, people may complain about it. My neibor had that problem. [​IMG]

6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Firsty, [​IMG]

Cant really tell because the pic is a little blury and they are still young.Wait a little bit and then see and post some more pics.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I don't have a BO roo anymore. He crowed a lot. Anytime he saw anyone or anything, and quite a bit at 3 am. My neighbors were ok with that, but after he flogged my 18month old he went to freezer camp. [​IMG] BO's are supposed to be pretty docile, so not sure if mine was just a bad egg or what.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You know he could be a day or 2 older than the other 2 BO chicks. It doesn't say where you got your chicks, but I recently got my chicks in pairs and almost every breed 1 is larger than the other or 1 developed wing feathers faster. Maybe yours have different parents. Who knows, but it is way too early to worry. Just think about what you might do if it is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by