Hen or Roo??? I'm still not sure

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snugglebird, Jun 26, 2011.

1. snugglebird

snugglebird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    This is Turk. I'm completely up in the air about this one. [​IMG] One minute we think hen and the next we think roo. Turk is about 12 weeks old now. His/Her comb and wattles have been red for a while but haven't gotten much larger.

So, can anyone look at how Turk is feathering out to see if they can get a better idea? Turk isn't going anywhere either way but it's just driving me crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    It looks like a hen to me, but I'm not that experienced! What breed is it? She's very pretty.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I vote hen too

4. snugglebird

Mar 30, 2011
    According to the answers I recieved from posting on here before, the consensus says that Turk is a EE even though there are no fluffy cheeks. He/She has grayish green legs and looked like a chipmunk as a chick.

Turk is very good natured and friendly. I'm happy either way. It seemed as if Turk was going to be a roo at about 6 weeks because his/her face and features were turning red but there have been no changes with it since then.

5. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    pretty im thinking hen!!!

6. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks to be a pullet...Is that a peacomb or straight comb coming in?

7. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Pullet, IMHO

8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I agree...girl

9. snugglebird

Mar 30, 2011
    Quote:She has a straight comb.

10. snugglebird

Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like everyone is thinking that Turk's a she. [​IMG]
    What's really strange is that out of 12 chicks that were straight run only 2 (possibly 1) are roos. I was kind of hoping for 3 roos. 1 for each little flock. But all is good regardless. Now, I'm just waiting to see about one of my light brahmas I'm pretty sure is a roo. His face is bright red compared to the other lt. brahma. The only "for sure" rooster is a tiny little silver duckwing bantam. Even though he has the attitude I don't know if he can keep 15 girls in line.
    Thank you all for your responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by