Hen or Roo? Jersey Giant or Australorpe?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Smartie_Pants, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I got this chicken as a 4-5 week old chick but and it was born in july. Itsfeet had yellow bottoms, so I think it is a Jersery Giant. Am I right? I had thought for sure it was a hen However I have an overload of roos and today I saw it picking on one. Now I'm not sure as it was going about it pretty agressivly. Is she just bossy or do I have yet another roo? She isn't crowing but they are slow to mature so it still could be a male. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Is it the same bird in each pic? Because it LOOKS like it is...if it is then I say pullet.

If the bottom of the feet are yellow then YES! Jersey Giant! If they're white...then you could have Australorp or Orpginton.

I have issues discerning between Orp and Austr.

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Yes, those are several pics of the same bird. I just wanted to cover all the bases and show the comb, wattles, body shape, etc.

I guess she's just really assertive! Good to know she can put the roos on the run when she wants.

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you have a cock-beater. I LOVE those birds! You can use them to show the young cockerels who are a little TOO excited how to act around hens.

Love them!

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] LOL

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by