Hen or Roo? Very aggressive chick

lbwoolsey

Hatching
May 23, 2015
Hi! We are new to this and bought 3 chicks just a couple weeks old. They are doing great and super active and funny! We hopefully got 1 Light Brahma, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte and 1 Light Ameraucana. The Ameraucana is a just a bit older and bigger than the other two, and while the two are very docile and sweet, the Ameraucana is becoming super aggressive towards the others. She also stands really upright and sticks her little tail up. They were all sold as pullets and separated from the males and unsexed chicks, but as I am understanding, mistakes can be made. Is it too early to tell? They would definitely take it back but I don't want to bring her back if she is hen, I'd feel awful.

With those greenish legs (true Ameraucanas have slate blue legs), your "Ameraucana" is actually an Easter Egger rather than a true Ameraucana. It's a little too young to be absolutely positive, but looking at an enlargement of your pic, your chick looks to have the broad comb that will develop three rows of peas which makes it a male.

I have been told that females develop their tails at an early age, before males. if that is true she is a girl.

Not at all accurate, especially with U.S. Easter Eggers. My rooster was the first chick to be completely feathered.

what about transylvanian neck? the chick developed tail at about 4 weeks and the comb is pale. is there any chance she is a girl?

Back
Top Bottom