Hen or Roo? (Yeah, I know everyone ask's this)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dodson, May 19, 2011.

1. dodson

dodson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ok, I know this has been asked before, but we are noob's! We have 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets and have watched them grow for the last 9 weeks. We are almost done with the coop outside. We can plainly see that one of them has virtually "no comb" (see pics) while the other 4 have small combs coming in. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that said Wyandotte Roo's would get comb's way later than Hen's.

I need some input....THOUGHTS?

Comb very visable
    [​IMG]

Another pic of bomb very visable
    [​IMG]

No Comb! Is this a Roo?
    [​IMG]

2. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    im not familiar with the breed but i say 1 & 3 look like pullets & 2 mayyybe a roo

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i thought wyandottes had a pea comb ( like your last pic) ... i dunno what is going on w. the first two pics--but then again-- i am no expert on wyandottes.

beautiful bird,btw... last one is DEF a hen!

4. Lisa7907

Lisa7907 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    It is a bit common, especially in hatchery birds, to get an occasional single comb. I believe the first one is a pullet anyway. If you could show a pic of the body of the second in question, I could probably give you a better guess, but I am thinking that one is a pullet as well.

5. dodson

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I am praying that more than one are hen's. My wife wants eggs and we will have to start again with pullets (or find some local birds)

This is another shot of number 1 and 2 (same bird)

[​IMG]

This is another shot of number 3

[​IMG]

Her is an all together different bird, similar to the first bird with the comb.

[​IMG]

Here is all 5 girls together in the brooder space

[​IMG]

6. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    pretty pretty hens

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm more interested in seeing good sideways body shots, to see if there are saddle and sickle feathers growing in, over pics of their combs. I find the feathers an easier way to tell roo from hen with chickens. [​IMG]

8. dodson

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I know but these little suckers wont stand still for my cheap camera!!!! lol

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    they all look like hens to me [​IMG] did they come as sexed pullets or st. run? if they were sexed pullets, then it's not too surprising, if they were straight run, it's amazing! [​IMG]

10. dodson

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    They were sexed pullets. So, you are telling me that there can be that much difference in combs in hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by